Sunday, November 21, 2004

Getting Your blog noticed. Part 1

Kim at Bacon and Eh's always has something interesting to read and comment about. She usually update's everyday. Her last update was Wednesday and she asked everyone to say hi and to get their friends to say hi. When I left a comment the number was 124 comments.

Is this a gimmick? No. Kim's blog is an interesting mix of text and links. Kim also reads and comments in different blogs. I have mentioned our team in my blogs, but I haven't asked for a plug. I will mention this post to her, but she is not obligated to link to me. By commenting in her blog - and commenting reasonably (ie - not begging for readers) - I draw attention to my Firemind blog and may gain readers.

Brent at Coptalk writes about many things. He posts pictures, talks about police issues, family, politics and so on. He reads a large number of blogs and thus interacts with many different people. As he writes in his blog, he writes for himself, but acknowledges and respects his readers. I found his blog because he was reading many of the same ones I was. Eventually we began to read each other's blogs.

When people talk about weblogs they seem fixated on three forms of blogs:

  1. the angst driven monologues that either make a reader sympathetic or sick

  2. the nerdy nothing-but-geek-links blog

  3. the A - list wannabes who have pretty blogs with the required format, but no substance


While these types of blogs can be successful they are so common a reader can choose any of them and get the 'fix'/info they need. It is better to have your own distinct blog that uses some good ideas rather than a carbon copy of Biz Stone or another writer. I like Biz Stone's books and ideas, but he is Biz Stone - I am not.

I think a successful blog is one that has it's own distinct voice, has a blogger who is active in the blog community, and has a blogger that responds to his or her readers.
Things to do:

Everyone - have a look at these blogs.

  • Stop in at Bacon and Eh's and leave a comment with a link to your blog

  • Visit each others blogs and read a bit. Check out the links.

  • Think about what type of blogs you like to read.


Christine - comments and/or suggestions?

If you want to just comment on this post do it in comments. If you think you can add to this post then write one here and link back. Any useful material will be incorporated into this post and turned into lesson.


Update:
I found out that Kim's request for comments was due in part for a competition she was involved in. She needed 100+ comments. This could be called a 'gimmick', but she could only draw the number of visitors she did because she had a large, loyal group of readers. Kim has worked hard to attract and keep her readers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hello there.

I read a lot of blogs ( I check about 100 a day)and (unsurprisingly) tend to like the ones that are like mine, where people tell me a bit about themselves and their family and link it to what is happening in the world.

I leave a pertinent message if there is anything to be said. UK bloggers tend to leave fewer messages than US ones did you know that.

I have a good stat counter, http://www.statcounter.com, which gives me loads of detail , and when people have looked at my blog I go and look at theirs. some become regular blogfriends.

I also use http://technorati.com/ to see who is linking to my posts and my blog and follow them back. My style has evolved in the 18 months that I have been blogging, and though I am thriulled that 20 - 40 people a day read it, I don't think any of it is earth shattering stuff and, basically, I do it for myself. I really *really* dislike things like blog explosion where you are just looking for hits. it's returning readers who are important. I feel that you might as well use a pointless click counter as register wiht them <----My opinio n (tm).

8:58 AM  
Blogger -- said...

You know, I haven't been to blogexplosion in weeks and a ton of my hits still come from there. Its kinda funny.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home