Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Side Blog

I have been experimenting in my test blog on how to make a "sideblog" type thing. You know, for stuff that doesn't really qualify for for a post to the main blog but is good enough to mention. Kinda like the Furl Bookmarker but with added comments you can see. After a bit of experimenting, I think I figured out how to do it. You can see an example on my test blog. I am still working out the kinks and it should work better after I get my hosting because I can host the sideblog there rather than blogger. But it is pretty nifty and if you want to know how it is done, pay attention.


Step one- Create your "side blog"
To do this, create a new blog with a simple template.

Step two- Edit the template
You need to delete anything irrelevant to the post. That includes the sidebar, comments, footer, even the heading.

Step three- Insert the sideblog into your blog
For this you need some HTML. The cide is pretty simple. What you are doing is getting the sideblog and inserting it into your main blog. The code is as follows:(object data="(url of imported blog)" type="text/html")(/object). You can optionally insert custom height and width attributes as well. This code is then inserted in the sidebar of you blog.

Step four- Preview
Always preview after making template hacks. Ypu don;t want to publish crap. If you like the way it looks, you are done.


Notes- I figured out how to do this with the help of this tutorial.
If you have any questions, you can ask me or look at that.
Also, you might want to drag this into your toolbar. It is the BlogThis window. This will help you update your sideblog on the fly. At least thats how I do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

I added a comment then remembered that I could edit your post. I just emphasized the word 'Notes:' and made the spacing a bit better. The only thing that needed the editing was that you had two 'http://'. I fixed the link.

Could your problem with it being too wide be fixed by using a table or playing with that aspect of blogger? Basically the blogger page is two 'tables'.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home