Sunday, November 07, 2004

I'm Back Online /Notes /Assignments/Etc

I slept a lot this weekend and feel better.

I hope to spend time tonight uploading pictures. But, I also want to give out assignments.

Notes

Gale - accept the invitation to the photoblog.

Re: posting from flickr/no readers.

You can post text from flickr to blogger. How you blog isn't as important as getting your message out. Most of us started with blogger and learned about pictures later.

Solution (?) - When you post from flickr you are giving away the full story. Why should people come to your blog when they have read your posts and seen your pics?
One way of getting around this is to post some of your article from flickr with a link that says (Read the full story). In blogger paste the rest of the text. You will find people leaving notes there.

Assignment for Gale - Blog the same whale pic twice to your test blog. The first one will not be touched. In the second one delete most of the text at the end - make sure it is text and not (/div) html type stuff. Add a link to the real post in whale tales.

I will walk you through in your test blog. Invite another member to join your test blog (or someone volunteer). Due: next sunday.

James - I want to check something with you first before giving you an assignment. I will be emailing you.

Christine - post a picture to your test blog using 'Hello.' Tell how you did it using numbered lines. eg - 1. I ...
- post a second pic/another post using flickr. How do you compare this to Hello? Is it easier or harder? Do you prefer either.
- Make up a flickr badge and put it in the sidebar of sunday evening.
Due next Sunday. Do this well and you may get a promotion!

Lou - the test pics look great.

Your assignment:
1. Visit squidfingers (see blog links) and select a background tile for the test blog.
2. Upload the image to flickr (no hot linking!)
3. Change the background of your test blog using the tile.
4. Tell us how you did it.

Everyone - Thanks for inviting me to your test blogs. Now I know what I can and can't do as a member.

Get your invites from Demo Junk back before next weekend. I am planning the first Demo Junk Derby. Random admins, several players, odd posts. the only taboos are the member tab and deleting posts. More later.

Spot Checks - I am always reading blogs. I do stop in and read even if I don't leave comments. The main things I look for in a blog are is it easy on the eyes. Does it look ok in my browser and so on. Of course i like a good read. Alarm bells/ Hot potatoes for me are invasions of privacy, viruses, and things that make my browser crash.

Hot Potatoes
Examples: -1. a Diaryland user (a teenager) once posted a Mapquest map showing directions to his house. The reason: a party for a friend 'while the parents are away'. Two days later his diary was locked and I lost interest.

2. One woman in England used a pseudonym, but gave her real work email. She talked about her confidential work - including experiments and then bragged about an article she wrote for a university publication. In two clicks of the mouse I had her name,occupation and email of her boss if I decided to 'express interest' in the project. I thought a lot before deciding it was none of my business.

Privacy and Security and Libel - these are topics that pop up from time to time. We can post such blog related topics here.

3 Comments:

Blogger -- said...

I'll join Gales test blog. ;)

3:59 PM  
Blogger -- said...

Oh and also, I can't see any links on the sidebar... at all. Is there something I am missing?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

No. work on the sidebar in your test blog.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home